Polk State College honored its student athletes, including volleyball players, April 27 at the annual Athletic Awards Banquet in Winter Haven.
"We are very proud of the success our student athletes have achieved academically and athletically," said Athletic Director Bing Tyus.
"There are three reasons we have been very successful," he said. "First, great coaches and student athletes. Second, financial support from the college and community. And third, great support from our president, Dr. Eileen Holden, who values life outside the classroom and supports every program here at the college."
Coaches for cheerleading, baseball, basketball, softball, soccer, and volleyball recognized their players for individual and team accomplishments on the field and in the classroom.
The following volleyball players received awards:
- Ashley Toth: Best Character, Highest Team GPA, Second Team All Conference, Highest Assists (1460)
- Genesis Castillo: Most Improved
- Diannmarie Rivera-Romero: MVP, First Team All Conference
- Ashley Hass: Coaches Award, Female Scholar Athlete Award
- Rossanna Ramos: First team All Conference, 25 Dig Club, Most Team Digs (628)
- Cheye-Anne Savage: Second Team All Conference, Most Blocks (125)
- Ana Karine Cavalcante: Second Team All Conference
- Shatorreia Edgecombe: First Team All Conference, Most Kills (411)
- Yara Ramirez: Most Aces (38)
"As student athletes, continue to strive for academic excellence, the president, administrators, faculty, and staff are proud of them," said Reggie Webb, vice president for student services.